*





Manu Tuilagi smashes Tom Williams


Top14 player imposter!


JDV smashed by Benoit August


The Northampton Saints 30m scrum!


Bastareaud huge hit on Rory Lamont


All Blacks skills - Pt 2 In the backyard


Trinh-Duc sets up Harinordoquy try


Wales vs England 1999


Greg Holmes great hit on Francois Louw



Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fudge Mabeta gets a taste of Ashley Johnson's boot

A few days ago the featured Currie Cup match was the intense clash between the Bulls and the Cheetahs that was won with a dramatic late try. As with all classics, the game was action packed with many incidents. This was just one of those.

Ashley Johnson is a young eighthman from the Cheetahs whose hard running and high work rate earned him a place on tour with the Springboks last year. It was a disastrous tour but he was one of the few players that impressed. He picked up an injury but this year has already shown the same kind of form in the first few rounds of the Currie Cup.

Against the Bulls he carried the ball regularly, bashing it up and never afraid to take contact. He also played a significant role in the match winning try right at the end.

"I am not the fancy-rugby type. I enjoy playing a direct game, carrying the ball and bashing people out of the way. My role for the Cheetahs is to develop forward momentum and get us over the advantage line," he says of his game.

As you can see in this clip, he takes the ball from the restart, as he did all game, and as he sets off gets brought down by a brave tackle from young Blue Bulls lock Fudge Mabeta. Yes, Fudge, although the name on his birth certificate is Mthunzi.

As you can see, poor Mabeta gets a massive Johnson heel square in the nose. He went off, got it cleaned up, and returned to the field sporting a rather large and uncomfortable looking noseplug. Look out for Johnson this season though, and indeed in the future, as he seems a real prospect.

I'm sure many of you out there have taken a boot to the face in similar fashion before.


Time: 0:52


Share

19 Comments:

  • Urgh, that looks painful. Amazing how often that could/should happen but doesnt!

    By Anonymous Laz, at July 28, 2010 10:45 pm  

  • That's a whack to make the eyes water! I agree with laz how it doesnt happen more often is a mystery

    By Anonymous Ouch, at July 28, 2010 11:15 pm  

  • That made me wince, and I also wonder how we don't all come away like that every game.....

    By Anonymous bryn elesedy, at July 28, 2010 11:25 pm  

  • got one while rucking, only happened once

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 28, 2010 11:32 pm  

  • Got a big old scar on my chin from a shot like that a year or so ago..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 29, 2010 1:48 am  

  • Watching that curled my toes! Same thing happened to me but I caught a knee when tackling... couldn't see for about five minutes!

    By Anonymous Marc, at July 29, 2010 2:20 am  

  • Ouch.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 29, 2010 2:26 am  

  • The way things are progressing in Union I am surprised he didn't he a yellow.

    By Anonymous FreeWilly, at July 29, 2010 2:30 am  

  • Thank god I've never had that happen. I've had other things happen like tripping over a teammate when we both went for a tackle and I tore my shoulder, but never a boot to the nose. Never a boot to the nose, though.

    I also remember this happening sometime last season, but can't remember what league or team...so this comment is pretty much worthless.

    By Anonymous thames smells like piss, at July 29, 2010 5:20 am  

  • oops....had a few too many, I guess. Didn't mean to repeat myself there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 29, 2010 5:21 am  

  • i caught a heel square in the forehead once, nearly concussed, couldn't see right for 10 seconds... nasty stuff that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 29, 2010 6:34 am  

  • Nathan Sharpe lost a Tooth like this on Saturday

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 29, 2010 12:39 pm  

  • Unfortunate - thankfully similar injury happened only once to me when I played due to my judicious avoidance of tackling people running at that speed whenever possible :p

    By Anonymous NiWiTa, at July 29, 2010 1:41 pm  

  • I think this definitely warrants a ten week ban. Somebody could have got seriously hurt.

    By Anonymous Citing commissioner, at July 29, 2010 4:45 pm  

  • three same accidents happened to me. three scares. all made by partners while training...thanks guys!

    By Anonymous Swissvinch, at July 29, 2010 6:06 pm  

  • Thames smells like piss ...
    For having a few drinks taken your punctuation is spot on ... well done

    Yes I have lost a tooth from such an incident. Nasty business but all apart of the game

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 29, 2010 10:37 pm  

  • Ashley Johnson looks like a real prospect. Any odds of him getting called up for the Boks in the tri-nations or EOYT this year?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 29, 2010 11:17 pm  

  • Happened to me once in a game. I'm a lock, the other half of my lock pairing picked the ball up from a ruck, gets tackled and as I'm going in to clear the ruck, he gets turned around by the tackler, sticks his feet up and I' left on the ground bleeding from the forehead. Still have a thin line in my forehead to show and I surelly wont ever again leave my headgear at home. Sure felt stupid at the time.


    Cheers, RD

    By Blogger Xavier, at July 30, 2010 4:46 am  

  • Also, sorry for double posting, is it me or nobody bothered to comment little "Fudge"'s odd/suggestive name until now?

    By Blogger Xavier, at July 30, 2010 4:47 am  

Please note: All comments are moderated and will be removed immediately if offensive.

Post a Comment

<< Home




Missed out on recent posts? View by monthly archive
July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | April 2011 | March 2011 | February 2011

 

PARTNERS & FRIENDS
Ultimate Rugby Sevens | Frontup.co.uk | Whatsisrugby.com | RossSkeate.com | Fusebox | Olympic-rugby.org
The Rugby Blog | Blogspot rugby | Free Sports Video Guide | Lovell Rugby Blog | Lerugbynistere | Free Betting Offers

All videos featured are hosted externally and property of the respective video sharing platforms.
Rugbydump features and archives them in an effort to promote the game worldwide.
Copyright © 2010 Rugbydump