*





Manu Tuilagi smashes Tom Williams


Top14 player imposter!


JDV smashed by Benoit August


The Northampton Saints 30m scrum!


Bastareaud huge hit on Rory Lamont


All Blacks skills - Pt 2 In the backyard


Trinh-Duc sets up Harinordoquy try


Wales vs England 1999


Greg Holmes great hit on Francois Louw



Friday, July 16, 2010

The Ross Skeate Diary - A Rugby decision

Since we last caught up with Ross, he's gone South, leaving Toulon to take up the challenge with the Sharks in Durban, back in South Africa where it all began. Still young enough to have a Test career, Ross gave us his thoughts on the big move.

How advantageous is the concept of moving through various countries while being employed to play the game one loves? Arriving into a new team set-up surrounded by immediate friends, bound by the mutual understanding of being engaged in the same pursuit of rugby glory, while at the same time discovering new adventures and people around every corner?

Yeah, as opening gambits go I didn’t think it was that great either.

Sure moving from country to country may provide a few difficulties for anyone, and a very special set of trials and challenges for any rugby player, but like my very wise mom says; "Change is always a good thing." She’s bloody right of course!

I cannot tell you or even begin to explain the weight and value of the education that rugby has already gifted me. Many times I have marvelled at how similar the lessons learnt through rugby imitate the life lessons we learn through… um, life. This trip to and from the land of Baguettes and Frog Legs has opened my eyes even further to a new experience that in truth I never knew I could have previously enjoyed. That old nut about 'comfort zones and all that.'

Going to Frenchland I knew that the challenge was going to be a humbling and awesome one but as to what depths I can only see through the clear goggles of hindsight. No, not it’s closely related cousin the 'Beer Goggle', which results in a completely different experience altogether.

Deciding to return to South Africa wasn’t an easy decision, and although I knew that I was returning a more complete, capable rugby player with my best years still ahead of me, I knew the challenges involved and what choosing this next path in my career meant.

It is a decision though unquestionably that I am so very happy to have made. Of course just how happy only time and circumstance shall tell, but I've got a very good feeling about this one! Especially as moving to Durban has granted me the time and opportunity to play within a supremely professional set-up that will only continue my education as a rugby player and my development in the same vein.

I was asked a few times why did I not want to return to Cape Town and of course the idea did appeal, but I know enough now to know that Durban is definitely the best place for my playing career at this point which is of paramount importance to me now.

I still have so many good memories at Western Province and I shall always treasure them, much like the friendships and memories that I shall always carry with me from Toulon. But I need to be here, now.

I can’t tell you how excited I am to get rolling although all these youngsters are seriously gonna keep me on my toes. After all 27 years old is positively middle-aged in the Southern Hemisphere. I think I need to buy a red Ferrari to help with my mid-life crisis!

So onwards and upwards then as I dash headlong into this year's Currie Cup competition, one that I have come to know and love so well. But this time I'll be running out as a Sharkie!

All the best, and keep in touch with me and with RugbyDump.

Skeato
_______________________________________________________________________________

Follow Ross Skeate's progress as he starts his new career with the Sharks, traveling the country and finding his feet in beautiful Durban. Ross will post photos, blog posts, match reports, and more on his site, so make sure you visit RossSkeate.com regularly and follow him on Twitter @RossSkeate.


Share

10 Comments:

  • FIRST ahahaha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 16, 2010 3:50 pm  

  • second, good luck with the Sharks Skeato

    By Anonymous SuperAnon, at July 16, 2010 4:02 pm  

  • Au revoir mon ami.

    By Anonymous N. Sarkozy, at July 16, 2010 4:24 pm  

  • is homogneasach e ross skeate,agus nil seans da laighid aige chun cluiche a fhail leis na springboks.is imreoir maith go leor e,ach ni imreoir idir-naisiunta e

    By Anonymous ispini agus uibh, at July 16, 2010 4:31 pm  

  • ^ wtf language is that?

    Good on Ross. I hope he does well in the currie cup.

    By Anonymous Benson, at July 16, 2010 5:02 pm  

  • Always a good read fairplay. Good luck with the currie cup dude and keep listening to mom she knows best!

    By Anonymous AllBlackJack, at July 16, 2010 8:36 pm  

  • Ah dún do bheal ispini. is homogneasach e ross skeate? Is brea leat an bata corcra suas do thoin...

    Seriously though, give it your best shot Ross. Your articles are always interesting and they'll be even better now that you have a new league to write about.

    By Anonymous Box, at July 17, 2010 12:42 am  

  • Is that Scots Gaelic?

    All's I know is that Rosetta Stone taught me "Ta na mna ag ithe"...and that's Irish...and useless. Well, that and that the romanization of gaelic is absolute shit.

    Anyways, good luck in SA Ross!

    By Anonymous freddy, at July 17, 2010 2:48 am  

  • Nice Skeato!Come on Sharks!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 19, 2010 10:41 am  

  • Toulon never forget you Ross! ;)

    By Anonymous ptit-jaune, at July 20, 2010 1:23 am  

Please note: All comments are moderated and will be removed immediately if offensive.

Post a Comment

<< Home




Missed out on recent posts? View by monthly archive
July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | April 2011 | March 2011 | February 2011

 

PARTNERS & FRIENDS
Ultimate Rugby Sevens | Frontup.co.uk | Whatsisrugby.com | RossSkeate.com | Fusebox | Olympic-rugby.org
The Rugby Blog | Blogspot rugby | Free Sports Video Guide | Lovell Rugby Blog | Lerugbynistere | Free Betting Offers

All videos featured are hosted externally and property of the respective video sharing platforms.
Rugbydump features and archives them in an effort to promote the game worldwide.
Copyright © 2010 Rugbydump