*





Manu Tuilagi smashes Tom Williams


Top14 player imposter!


JDV smashed by Benoit August


The Northampton Saints 30m scrum!


Bastareaud huge hit on Rory Lamont


All Blacks skills - Pt 2 In the backyard


Trinh-Duc sets up Harinordoquy try


Wales vs England 1999


Greg Holmes great hit on Francois Louw



Saturday, October 23, 2010

Five minutes with Matt Banahan and Butch James

England international Matt Banahan and Springbok Butch James were at Farleigh House a few days back so we were given the opportunity to catch up with them. Some questions were also submitted by you on the RD Facebook Page, so here's what the two Bath backs had to say.

So Matt tell us a little bit about the scheme you are here to launch today.

Matt:
We're here for the the Aviva Premiership Rugby Schools Programme, which is a brilliant idea and a global thing that all the Premiership clubs are going to buy into and that can only be good for the game. I didn’t play rugby as a youngster but I think that if this sort of programme was around back then, then it might have been a different story and it can only help push rugby forward across the whole of Britain.

Are you as passionate about rugby now as when you started out, or does it sometimes feel more like a job?

Matt: It never feels like a job. My girlfriend is a beautician and she sometimes works from 7am to 7pm – that’s a job. We are blessed. We have to enjoy every day and have a passion for it every day. That passion comes out in big games, and especially at the start of the season and at the end of the season. There are only a few weeks here and there when it might get hard, but otherwise there is always something to look forward to.

How did you find the transition from second row to wing?

Matt: I only played as a second row from the age of 16 until I came to bath at 19, so I only played there properly for about 18 months or two years. Now I have spent five years as a winger. People always refer back to me as being a former second row but I have spent much more time on the wing, so I don’t look back on those days at all. It’s all because I get tarred with that brush of being tall and heavy.

What is your daily diet?

Matt: I wake up in the morning and take all my tablets and powders that our nutritionist gives us to make me feel good. Then I train and have my protein shake after a weights session, train again and then go down to the Rec for lunch. We have whatever the chef picks for us to eat.

In the afternoons we have time off so I might have a sandwich for a snack, and then have a nice wholesome meal in the evening – some pasta maybe, or kievs. It’s the same every day really, and one day a week I might be allowed some naughty food.

Can you be an English version of Jonah Lomu?

Matt: I don’t want to be an English version of Jonah Lomu. He was one of the best in his era and this is a different era now. I’d like to make a name for myself and not be behind somebody who was as great as him. I would like people to say that you could have Matt and Jonah on the pitch together, rather than me being referred to in comparison to him.

Are you ever intimidated by an opponent physically?

Matt: Only the small, fast ones. I wouldn’t have liked to have played against Joe Maddock, luckily I played with him! Even though he has a smaller build he was powerful and fast. That isn’t comfortable for me to play against. I try not to think about other players though – I would like it more for them to be thinking about playing me.

How many tattoos do you have and what is your favourite?

Matt: I have so many that they almost blend into one, they’re scattered all around my body. I like the big one I have on my chest as my brother has the other half to it and that means a lot to me. I like the pin-up girl on my arm and they’re all good quality as I get them done by the best tattooist around.

What is your best time for the 100m?

Matt: It’s probably very slow. I can do it in about six seconds on my motorbike but I wouldn’t know to run it. I picked up rugby so late and only do short distances so I haven’t timed myself for 100m.

Butch, how different is it playing at the Rec compared to Kingspark in Durban?

Butch: It’s very different. At Kingspark you get far bigger crowds, that’s one difference, but the Rec makes more noise than Kingspark. That’s pretty cool for us and whatever the weather is we get the crowd – in Kings Park if it’s raining then you won’t get too many guys in the stand.

The stands are all close to the field at the Rec, so you can hear every comment, which makes it like having 25,000 people there. I’ve never seen a crowd like you get at the Rec – come rain, hail or snow they are always out supporting us.

You've fixed up your tackling technique over the years – have you worked hard at it or does tackling lower now come naturally?

Butch: I don’t think I really changed anything. There was one year in my career where I got nailed and did some bad tackles. I think I built up a bit of a reputation and that stuck with me for a while. Hopefully I have dusted that off over time and I haven’t changed much to how I normally tackle.

What is it like to work with a player like Morne Steyn?

Butch: It’s good, especially when you practice kicking with him after a training session. You see how good he is at it. The whole time I was in camp, over three months, I think I saw him miss three kicks. Its awesome to be able to kick and train alongside him. He is playing really well and it is good to see how he takes control of a team.

What do you think of the Springbok selection policy for overseas based players?

Butch: They aren’t excluding them at the moment, so that’s a good thing – they are trying to keep their players at home by not picking guys overseas but I’m sure in a couple of years when the game goes even more professional I am sure they will start looking elsewhere.

Who would be in your fantasy Aviva Premiership backline?

Butch: No.9 would be Michael Claassens. I would like to be in there myself but if I had to choose someone else at fly-half it would be Toby Flood. At 11 would be Big Bad Banners. I'd have to choose my centre partnership at Bath – Ollie Barkley and Shontayne Hape. Alesana Tuilagi would be the other winger and then Nick Abendanon at full-back.

Matt Banahan and Butch James were speaking at the launch of the Aviva Premiership Rugby Schools Programme, designed to increase participation in the sport and unearth young England stars of the future. Find out more at avivapremiershiprugby.com


Share

7 Comments:

  • 1st

    By Anonymous Flooz, at October 23, 2010 11:55 pm  

  • I dont agree with james Aviva backline, awful

    By Anonymous Link, at October 24, 2010 12:58 am  

  • Hahaha that's some biased best back line there!

    By Anonymous Juggernauter, at October 24, 2010 1:43 am  

  • how can you ignore mapasua?!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 24, 2010 3:07 am  

  • "Matt: I wake up in the morning and take all my tablets and powders that our nutritionist gives us to make me feel good. Then I train and have my protein shake after a weights session, train again and then go down to the Rec for lunch. We have whatever the chef picks for us to eat.

    In the afternoons we have time off so I might have a sandwich for a snack, and then have a nice wholesome meal in the evening – some pasta maybe, or kievs. It’s the same every day really, and one day a week I might be allowed some naughty food."

    Eh no, that's a job too mate, just like the missus.

    no wonder ppl fail drug tests and then are suprized by the results - they don't even think about what they eat - someone else does that for them.

    still, cheers for the insight RD

    By Anonymous mise, at October 24, 2010 3:23 am  

  • RD should do posts like this, it is nice knowing the pros are doing something with kids and being kept grounded, rather than refusing to do anything other than buy things with their vast wages and act like Demi-Gods a la football but seriously, why can these players not just be able to talk as they want rather than tow a club line. It's just like listening to a media savvy politician, hiding all their own views for the party one.

    James does not want that backline, he no doubt wants someone who can actually form a game plan at 9 (someone who would set up a drop goal to win a vital game) and he would want the likes of Alex Goode or D.Amatage at 15, a better last line of defence and someone who can take over his kicking roles so he doesn't have to miss repeatedly again.

    As for that dull pillock Banahan; just admit the truth, the reason you don't want to be compared to Jonah is he was much better than you and, unlike Jonah the defences you're up against can tackle 2nd rows at full pace which let's face it is all you really are. Bastareaud in France would have made as almost much as an impression as did as would Tuilagi or various others if they had been around at that time. Players know this, just admit it.
    And he knows full well how fast he can run 100m it will be about 11 and a half seconds. Just admit you are faster over the first 50 which is what we want from a winger.

    Professionalism is great but for Christ'ake you aren't robots, don't slag off team mates but at least speak your mind. Rugby used to be the sport where men were clever (both the university/public school educated and blokes who came from a building site to play) well spoken and had wry senses of humour. They were people I wanted to listen to, now the second a game finishes I listen to decent punditry if available then switch off, I simply can't listen to the drivel that comes out of the majority of players repeat "game plan/breakdown/injuries" etc over and over.

    Thank god some blokes from NZ/Aus still have the ability to call a bad game a bad game and nothing else.

    Rant over

    By Anonymous Lil Chris, at October 24, 2010 4:57 pm  

  • Fair enough, Lil Chris, but bear in mind the reason why they were there that day and who they were representing. This wasn't simply a chat in the pub over a few beers, this was a PR thing so I'd imagine there needs to be a bit of necessary decorum.

    Interesting read though still. I thought Banahan was actually admitting he's not too quick there, which was nice and honest of him.

    By Anonymous Flinto, at October 24, 2010 5:06 pm  

Please note: All comments are moderated and will be removed immediately if offensive.

Post a Comment

<< Home




Missed out on recent posts? View by monthly archive
July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | April 2011 | March 2011 | February 2011

 

PARTNERS & FRIENDS
Ultimate Rugby Sevens | Frontup.co.uk | Whatsisrugby.com | RossSkeate.com | Fusebox | Olympic-rugby.org
The Rugby Blog | Blogspot rugby | Free Sports Video Guide | Lovell Rugby Blog | Lerugbynistere | Free Betting Offers

All videos featured are hosted externally and property of the respective video sharing platforms.
Rugbydump features and archives them in an effort to promote the game worldwide.
Copyright © 2010 Rugbydump